What makes us Catholic? Jesus Christ is at our core. The following known quote says it well: “Let it be known to all who enter here that Jesus Christ is the reason for this school, the unseen but ever-present teacher in all its classes, the model of its faculty, and the inspiration for its students.” Each child is challenged to grow in knowledge, wisdom, faith and love in imitation of the person of Jesus Christ.
The key, as noted by Archbishop Joseph Kurtz of Louisville, is “that we do not see faith and excellence as an either/or but embrace both as we plan for every aspect of Catholic education, with our faith being the foundation and the inspiration for all school programs and activities.” Education is integral to the mission of the Church to proclaim the good news. The Lourdes staff are actively engaged in bringing the Good News of Jesus into the total education experience and there is an observable vibrancy of faith within the school environment.
Prayer experiences and reception of the Sacraments are abundant. The religion curriculum and teaching methodology are alive and vibrant in classrooms. Religious signs, traditions, and rituals of the Roman Catholic Church permeate the school culture. Christian service is highly valued and integrated within the school community.
Excerpts from Dr. Haggerty's reasons to choose a Catholic School
Regular Mass Attendance
• Increase life expectancy
• Less Likely to use / abuse alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
• Dramatically lower risk of suicide
• Rebound from depression 70% faster
• Less likely to commit a crime
• More likely to remain married
• Less likely to live in poverty
• More likely to attend college – and graduate
• Over 99% of Catholic school students graduate
• Over 98% of high school students go on to college
• Catholic school students consistently perform better on standardized assessments